We’ll look at two articles about free will. If the modern views prove less than insightful then we can do another session using more classical philosophy—please do let me know if you have any other resources.
- Harris, Sam. “Life without Free Will.” (9 September 2012).
- Horgan, John. “Will This Post Make Sam Harris Change His Mind About Free Will?” (9 April 2012).
- Life is a Coin With One Side. This American Life. 662: Where There Is a Will Act Two: Life Is a Coin With One Side.
- Fruit Flies, Freeloaders, free will, post on No Moods, Ads or Cutesy Fucking Icons.
- Nietzsche, Friedrich Wilhelm, and Walter Kaufmann. 1966. 188: “Natural History of Morals” in Beyond Good and Evil: Prelude to a Philosophy of the Future. New York: Vintage Books.
- Worth having a look at the recommendations from our last session.
Plan for Future Meetings / Request for Help
This is a tentative plan of topics, subject to change as the conversation evolves:
- Monday, 11 March: Free Will/Determinism
- Monday, 25 March 2019: Sovereignty?
- Monday, 8 April 2019: Digital freedom?
Please let me know if you have any material that might be of interest or relate to a future topic—this could include books, articles, videos, podcasts, exhibitions, films or anything else you can think of.
I would also welcome suggestions for other aspects of freedom that we could consider.